Saturday, June 9, 2012

Is all the secrecy about Prometheus, the Alien-prequel, worth it?

Yesterday, I had the chance to see the new Alien-prequel Prometheus in glorious 3D.  It took about a day for me to ponder over it because I couldn't decide if I liked it or not.  Being a fan of the Alien franchise, I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed.  But let me break it down...

Tag Line (from IMDB): A team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

Synopsis (from Wikipedia): Set in the late 21st century, the story centers on the crew of the spaceship Prometheus as they follow a star map discovered among the remnants of several ancient Earth cultures. Led to a distant world and an advanced civilization, the crew seeks the origins of humanity, but instead discovers a threat that could cause the extinction of the human race.

Special Effects:  They're the biggest seller here.  Red cameras were used so the images were crystal clear and ready for 3D.  There are a few space images and advanced technology that appealed to my eyes.  You enjoy the ride of the subtle 3D images throughout the movie.

Acting:  Top billing was original "Dragon Tattoo" woman, Noomi Rapace.  IMHO, she was the best thing in the movie.  There doesn't seem to be anything she can't or won't do.  Without spoiling it here, you will know exactly what scene I'm talking about.  The robot David, was played with such ease and care by the always excellent Michael Fassbender.  Charlize Theron was underused as was (sigh) Idris Elba.  A few newcomers round out the cast.  Lastly, an unrecognizable Guy Pearce played the creator of the expedition company Weyland.

Cinematography:  Wonderful and mesmerizing as it should be.  There aren't many space shots but lots of planet ones.  And (of course) of the ship, Prometheus.  Nice name, BTW.

Direction:  Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors.  He directed the original Alien, along with such notable films as Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, Black Hawk Down and Gladiator.  And is also a big time producer.  However, I didn't get the feeling this movie was EPIC in the typical fashion.  Maybe it was also because the music didn't stand out... to me.  They are sympatico, I believe.

Art Direction:  Splendidly fantastical and futuristic.  The years are late 21st century, beginning in 2089.

Costume Design:  Cool looking and futuristic from the clothes worn in the Prometheus to the space suits needed in their explorations.  Especially cool was the grey suit Charlize Theron wore.

Writing:  I left this one for last since it's the blueprint for a movie.  With my writing friends, we had many questions after the movie.  Was that the point?  I found there to be holes within the script.  Surprising since uber-genius Damon Lindelof was one of the writers.  He is a master of mythology and twists/turns.  Remember how complex the tv series LOST was?  There were more questions raised than answers.

Well, there you have it.  Was it worth it?  You be the judge.  I think they could have teased us with trailers and hints of plot points.  That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  Now, on my To-Do-List, re-watching the Alien franchise.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment