Friday, June 22, 2012

TRANSLATOR'S STEVE BARTON RETURNS WITH NEW CD PROJECTOR

Translator’s front man Steve Barton is back with his fourth solo release, Projector.  It was produced by Lone Justice co-founder Marvin Etzioni.  This record is made up of songs that Steve wrote in the immediate aftermath of his dad’s death. “I went over to Marvin’s house to play him some of the songs that I had written. He set up his 4-track cassette machine and I started to play. By the end of the night I had played 18 songs. He suggested that we make an album, and that I play all of the instruments. This was a big departure for me, as I have only made records with either Translator or with my solo band. I thought about it over a weekend and decided to say yes. We chose a studio where we could make the album on 2” reel-to-reel tape. We recorded and mixed in around 5 days. “

Steve Barton has released four solo albums: The Boy Who Rode His Bike Around The World, Charm Offensive, Flicker Of Time and Gallery. The band for these albums consists of Steve on guitar and vocals, Robbie Rist on drums (Robbie is well-known for having played Cousin Oliver on The Brady Bunch – plus a long list of indie music and film work), and bassist Derrick Anderson (he is also the current bass player for The Bangles). They have been together for several years and provide the perfect band for Steve’s post-Translator songs.

The twelve tracks vary from acoustic guitar (Here Come I, This Is Where Tomorrow Ends, Super Fantastic Guy) to rocking numbers (the opener These 4 Walls, the fun songs Projector, and Bowie Girl).  The one that really gets to me is Track 6, Mohave Phone Booth.  Listen carefully to the lyrics and smashing guitar work.  The songs are very raw and from the heart… An opus to his father Dan Barton, an actor.  IMHO, it seems some of people’s best work comes out of the loss of a parent(s).  I cannot help but think of Sting, who created some of his best music after the loss of his mother (Nothing Like The Sun) and father (Soul Cages).  Sting is in the process of creating a musical based on Soul Cages.  Maybe Steve Barton will turn Projector into a play in honor of his father?

A little Beatlesque, a little Elvis Costello, even a splash of Nirvana… Steve Barton is in great company.  Take a listen in your home or car… enjoy.  That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!


For more information, please visit www.stevebartonmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment