Saturday, January 15, 2011

1/13/11 COLIN FIRTH GETS HIS STAR – FINALLY!

Thursday January 13th was Colin Firth Day in Hollywood, CA.  He was there to receive the 2,429th Walk of Fame Star.  And how apropos, it lies right in front of the Pig N Whistle, an English Pub.  Not too far away is Emma Thompson, his Nanny McPhee co-star.  In honor of the Brit’s star, Pig N Whistle created a drink- The Colin’s Collin, which we’ll have to try.
To introduce the event was current “Mayor” of Hollywood.  (As per usual, a celebrity friend introduces the honoree.)  Well, we were treated to actor Guy Pearce, his co-star in The King’s Speech.  Guy gave a genuinely sweet speech about Colin.  Working with Colin and watching his work will always be a very memorable time for me.”
When it was Colin’s turn, he gave a very heartfelt and witty speech.  His lovely wife, Livia Giuggioli, was there for support.  Colin dedicated the honor to her.  "I want to thank everybody that has accompanied me on this extraordinary journey, but probably more than anybody I could ever imagine Livia who has walked every step of this with me joyfully and truthfully," he said.  Before dabbing his eyes, he added: "When I look down there at that star, it's her name I see."  (Aww, makes us love him even more.)  "You can make of it what you will, it was the wind," he laughed.  During his speech, he joked: "I have a feeling I'm going to be here when I'm about 93 under a pile of blankets asking for spare change and trying to convince anyone that will listen that I'm the guy whose name is on the sidewalk - failing to recognize that the old lady next to me is in fact Emma Thompson."  (Laughter is heard everywhere.)
They’ll be back in late February for the Academy Awards ceremony at the Kodak Theatre, which is a block away.  If you haven’t seen The King’s Speech, I highly recommend it.  The buzz is it will sweep the Oscars. Check out his credits at:

1 comment:

  1. So humble and gracious. The man is so deserving of all the attention he is getting for The Kings S.peech. 2011 is his year

    ReplyDelete