Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Movie Review of TRON: LEGACY

Earlier today, I saw the hotly anticipated movie Tron: Legacy in IMAX 3-D.   Right off the bat, I must say IMAX 3D is the best way to see this movie.   So, in the beginning, there was a disclaimer saying parts of the movie are in 2D.  However, they recommended keeping the 3D glasses on the entire time.  (I’ve never seen such a thing but certainly appreciated it.) 
The movie begins in 1989 and shows us the last time young Sam sees his father Kevin Flynn (a digitally composited Jeff Bridges- Think Beowulf).   But then quickly it forwards 20 years to where we see an adult Sam create some havoc at ENCOM, the company his father was a part of.  Kevin Flynn hasn’t been seen in all this time and people fear he is dead.  One person who knows he isn’t is Alan Bradley, reprised by Bruce Boxleitner.  (Still looking oh so good.)  Alan gives Sam the key to Kevin’s arcade shop.  One thing leads to another and bam, Sam is in the TRON game.  Now the fun begins.
This movie reminds me a bit of Star Wars and The Matrix.  (Both, whom I wish were in 3D.)  There is the classic sci-fi storyline of the boy growing up without his Dad (Star Wars).  He lands in a game/other world to battle evil, a Judas-type character who wants to “rule the real world” (Matrix).  The actor Garrett Hedlund (Country Strong) does a nice job playing Sam.  (Man, what a sexy voice he has!)  But there are two stand-out performances that I’d like to mention.  First is the lovely Olivia Wilde (House) who played Quorra, Kevin’s apprentice.  She was like a bada$$ Trinity when needed but was primarily mellow.  I never realized how similar she looks like Keira Knightley until I saw this movie.  Yet, they made a wise choice in casting Miss Wilde.  Hopefully, she’ll get more work.  The other performance, though SO outlandish and over the top, is Michael Sheen as Zuse.  He has such great lines and expressions, pretty good comic relief.  Zuse looks like a Bowie-esque Mr. Freezemeiser.  LOL!  I LOVED every minute of his performance.  Side note- An unrecognizable Cillian Murphy was Ed Dillinger (cameo).  (I thought it was the actor married to Bryce Dallas Howard!).  Lastly, I’d like to give a shout out to Daft Punk for supplying the great music.  They also played the masked DJs.
My recommendation is to see this film in IMAX 3D.  That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment