Monday, January 17, 2011

Review of THE GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS


Last night was the Golden Globe Awards at the historic Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills.  It ran on time, clocked in just under 3 hours.  This awards show is different than most because it brings together people of the movie, television and music worlds.  My kind of party!  To me, that is very appealing.  It’s refreshing to see movie stars mingling with television stars. 
The host in his sophomore attempt was British comedian/actor Ricky Gervais.  To me, he seemed to cross over the line early in the evening talking about celebrities there and not.  The last straw seemed to be when he insulted one of the HPFA members.  We didn’t see him for about an hour.  When we did, it was to quickly introduce presenters.  Robert Downey Jr.  was naturally funny and had the guests on his side when he asked, “Aside from the fact that it’s been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I’d say the vibe of the show has been pretty good so far, wouldn’t you?”
In regards to the actual ceremony, there were but a few surprises.  My predictions were correct 15 out of 25.  (The television nominations were a crap shoot for me.)  Did anyone in the audience see the mini-series Carlos?  Where did it come from to win over The Pacific or Temple Grandin?  Claire Danes won on the heels of her Emmy win.  It was very sweet when she hugged and thanked the real Temple Grandin.  (Another sweet moment was when Angelina Jolie fixed Brad Pitt’s tie.)  Glee’s Jane Lynch and Chris Colfer won in their categories.  Jane also won the Emmy.  (I thought she actually won the GGs last year so I “voted” for the hilarious Sofia Vergara).  She was a good sport and tweeted “I don't care!!! I already have my Golden Globes!!!!!!!!hahhahha”.  For the Supporting Actor category, Scott Caan was a frontrunner but I’m delighted that Glee’s Chris Colfer won.  He has become the moral center of the show.  Veteran actors Al Pacino and Robert De Niro received honors.  De Niro gave a great speech- he never disappoints.  My favorite acceptance speeches were that of actors Colin Firth (The King’s Speech) and Natalie Portman (Black Swan).  I’m very pleased they won.  Expect to see more awards for these two in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment